In this constantly changing world, business and innovation wait for no one. How can we keep our emotional states stable enough to conduct vital decisions with ever foggier solutions and unclear future prospects? Emotional Intelligence or EI observes the ability to identify, manage your emotions and handle interpersonal relationships considerately.
By taking a test to measure how you handle emotional intelligence you could improve your leadership potential, emotional capacity, and self-regulation.
What is an EI test, why should I take it?
An Emotional Intelligence Test measures your levels of self-awareness, self-management, motivation, social awareness, and relationship management. This compilation of data will give you an honest overview of you, which enables you to effectively identify points of improvement to take the next step in your progression.
While many aspiring leaders have high IQ which points to intellectual success, most don’t advance. Those who are failing are not thinking, reacting and communicating in a way that expedites their chances to succeed. When you pinpoint, target and correct emotional intelligent deficient attributes, you become trustworthy, calm in a crisis, and make careful informed decisions with strength and humility.
What is the meaning of resilience and what has EI got to do with it?
Resilience is the ability to continue when all obstacles are hindering your advancement, it is to galvanise in the face of the stubborn issue. In a difficult situation the logical brain can shut down, and it can end up in panic mode. Recognising the fear, anxiety or anger that stems from the issue can increase your resilience – EI helps to do this and reduce emotional biases.
To be more resilient in a harsh environment you have to practice emotional intelligence. The first step is to recognise how the issues make you feel, then use skills to change that feeling which leads to thriving and powerful results.
More on Resilience in the blog post:
Recommended Personal development books on EI to help you get back on your feet:
- Emotional Intelligence – Geetu Bharwaney.
- Thinking fast and slow – Daniel Kahnman.
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0 – Dr. Travis Bradberry and Dr. Jean Greaves.
- Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ – Daniel Goleman.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen R. Covey.
- The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie.
Stand out from the crowd by doing these things to help improve emotional intelligence:
√ Develop listening skills.
√ Emphasise with others.
√ Take responsibility for your own feelings.
√ Celebrate the positive attributes while accounting for the negative.
√ Understand your motivations.
√ Maintain a schedule.
√ Set a goal and propose steps to achieving it.
Get even better equipped by checking 6 essentials to improve emotional intelligence.
Body language signs to look out for to improve EI.
Positive body language improves your own attitude and displays an individual who is more likeable, persuasive and emotionally intelligent. To embody these attributes outwardly, here are some helpful tips:
- Sit up straight.
- A strong firm handshake with eye contact portrays a sense of confidence and interest.
- Give those around you around an arm’s length of space.
- Face people head-on, turning away shows that you are uncomfortable.
- Make only a few seconds of eye contact with each person if speaking in a group to show that you care.
- Do not check the time or look at your device unnecessarily during a conversation it shows a lack of respect for the individual.
- Use a neutral pleasant expression instead of a forced smile if it doesn’t come naturally to maintain sincerity.
If you want to receive a valuable awareness of yourself and detailed focus to pinpoint exactly where you can improve, taking an EI Test is essential. Don’t waste time apportioning blame when you can fix and target the problems at hand that you already know in yourself. Acknowledging your weaknesses is a strength as it allows you to fortify your defences and redefine your attacks to surpass your own aspirations.